Saturday, February 27, 2010

Roll Models

No that is not a typo, I meant roll models because these days most of them look like they need a roll w/butter, some sun and a good hair stylist.
Now believe me I understand that designers want a sort of "blank canvas" look that shows off the clothes rather than the model. You can call me old fashioned but I personally prefer the days when our models were super.  When they represented beauty and health and were not 14 years old and a a size double zero.





Clockwise: Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Iman, Tyra Banks


To me, these women are beautiful.  Probably to most people these women are beautiful.  However, these days it seems the more androgynous/pale/emaciated one looks the more work they get.  And this is not in just a few select shows people, this has become more of the rule than the exception on the runway over the last few years.   Take a look:



This is what most runways are looking like these days.  Someone get these girls a sandwich and  ship them off to the tanning salon ASAP!!!  And maybe give the first three girls a good scrub down while your at it.  

There are still a select few designers that still go for a more healthful look such as Versace (but of course they would, because the too thin androgynous type would never be able to pull off their sexy clothes.). 



Still, I hate to say it but an attractive model makes me want to buy the clothes that they are trying to sell.  I tend to believe that most people would think if these clothes cant flatter someone that young and that thin why would I want to buy them?

While doing a small bit of research for this entry one thing stuck out at me.  Most of todays big names in modeling such as Giselle Bunchen, Helena Christensen, Naomi Campbell, etc





have been relegated to swimwear, ad campaigns and the like but have been on the runway very infrequently since 2005.  Which left me to wonder, is this because the "blank canvas" look is what the designers are preferring or because these women have become too well known and expensive for average designers to hire them?
I am sure that if I did a little more investigating into the matter I could find an answer but truthfully, does it even matter?  Not really.  Hopefully the climate will change and we can begin to embrace beauty in all shapes, colors, sizes and blah, blah, blah I am sure you have heard it all before, but, while I do believe that whole heartedly...really, secretly & vainly I just want to get back to pretty.   Pretty, healthy looking models who can drive themselves to casting calls are preferably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your feedback, so please leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails